Sunday 1 July 2012

Canada Day & Cletus

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!

Today my papa turned another year older and how did he celebrate? He pumped iron, of course! First he got up at 5:15AM and went for a walk, finding himself a birthday present:
Then he came back and hit the gym. The man has the energy of a teenager!

I can't believe they've been here for 2 days already! I was so animated when they got here; just couldn't shut my mouth. I was at the park when they landed and headed over (flocked by 2 of my park friends to ensure I got home okay) once I got the text from Red saying they were 10 minutes away. Turns out they are richer than I thought. Riding high in a limo...however, I actually didn't even see the limo as I was too excited to see their faces.

On the way in, I told the concierge that I found some homeless people in the park and I decided to keep them for awhile.

Yesterday I took them to a diner right down the street, then we hit up some stores to stock up for the week. Before we left this is what went down:

Dad walks in with a hat on. Mom: "Don't you look sexy!" Dad: "You like that?" 

Afterwards I took them on a tour of the building. They loved the gym and the rooftop terrace. Dad, of course, sauntered over and had a chit chat with some people playing Bocce ball. So far he has struck up a conversation with everyone whom he has come into contact with. He spent a good hour last night downstairs telling stories with the concierge, after borrowing a tool to fix the wheelchair. (Yay!!! Now I can do things!!)

Last night we went to the park. First stop - Starbucks! Something I learned - if they don't have it fresh, it's free! Am I the only one who didn't know this?? These guys met most of my park peeps, including the furry variety. To top off the night we saw a couple in a bikini and speedo, and a drunk guy on a bike (whom Brad believes runs the park and I am inclined to agree). Just another night in St. James.

------

3 AM.

I am Cletus. Hear me roar.

MY PAGER WENT OFF!!!

I wake up, head to the bathroom, just get inside, am about to close the door when.....BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

At first I didn't understand what was happening. I thought "what the heck was that???" Then it hit me full force.

Cletus!

I storm back in the bedroom where Red is sitting up in bed bewildered. I'm standing there hyperventilating and repeating "Oh My God, Oh My God". Red flies to her feet. I'm useless, as I stand there trapped between wanting to act and not fully comprehending how to work my body.

Finally, Red forces me out of my coma and says "Don't you need to call someone?" I focus on the beeper. My hand reaches out and grabs Cletus. I peer into his little black soul. And I see......


Low. Freaking. Battery. Did not see that coming. That battery was only 3 weeks old. I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully illustrate what was happening inside my head. Rock solid intensiteeeeee.

Today we took in the Gay Pride Parade! Mom had no idea what the parade entailed. Guess I forgot to mention the details?? Heeeheeeheeee.

And for the best photo of the day:

What a princess!

Happy Canada Day everyone! Missing you Brad, Luke, Jake & Andrew!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Jessica & family,Glad to hear mom and dad,Red arrived safely. Iwas so excided when i read the blog to hear cleatus BUZZ OH darn low battery. (IT WILL HAPPEN FOR REAL) .A little from home,we went to the fireworks in NewGermney last night . Katie said best firework,s ever.(CHUKLE) mom, gay pride parade ,happy birthday dad . And to you dear Happy canada day. Love forever and Always , Aunt Heather, xo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cletus sure let me down that night, but I've forgiven him. He's just learning!
      Glad you got to see the fireworks and you got to be with Katie. She's so sweet.
      Love you, Jess

      Delete
  2. Hey Jess....Canada Day in NG is not the same without ya!! Hope you are feeling better and enjoying your visit with your parents and Shannon. That pic of Shannon cracks me up!! Guess who else sleeps with one of those---TIA!!! Princesses!!! xo Jess--Miss ya --Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Jen, thanks. So happy to have them here....someday maybe you too!

      Delete
  3. Sister oh sister!! Mom phoned me lastnight to tell me about her adventures in TO! I don't think any of this stuff could be made up! I'm so sad I missed the fun! Gay pride parade with mom n dad = prolly the best moment of your life! I am counting down the days until I get to come visit you :)) I miss you so so much and love you even more!
    My sissy, my bestest! xoxox
    Lots of love,
    Lil' Sis aka best person eva aka Jamie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an experience I will never forget!! I wonder when exactly she realized what the parade was all about...
      Can't wait to see your face in Toronto!

      Miss you!

      Love you lung time!

      Delete
  4. All the best Jessica, Gladys and I say a special prayer(s) each day sometimes by the hour, just for you and the inpiration you give others by your amazing strength and attitude. I love reading your blog, say hello to dad for me. Special hugs and kisses from all in our family and a special hello and best wishes from Jason and Derek. See you when you get back home
    Gladys and Lee Fraser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, my post shows anonymous as I can't figure out how to publish as me.
    Hope this makes you smile as an old guy tries this new technology ..
    Lee and Gladys Fraser

    ReplyDelete