Thursday 24 April 2014

National Organ & Tissue Donation Awareness Week

Life has been crazy busy lately. Lots on the go. It's National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week!

Go green!
Recycle life!! 

Last Friday the boys came home from Africa! They brought a couple lions and a few monkeys too. Just shoved them in their suitcases. Caused a bit of chaos on the plane though. 

Brad's parents have been here too. It's been a full and exciting house. 

It's hard to slip away and write cause there's always something fun going on and I hate to be away from them. 

We got the chance to take Jagger & the G-man to a fenced in ball field. Jagger ran his guts out. 

Yup, they fell out on the field. 

He was so happy. It was the perfect example of a dog's life. Know what I mean? Not a care in the world. Feeling like a king. Drooling all over the place. 

Best part is - no one could complain that they were off leash. Take THAT animal control! 

I can't even remember the entire week. It was one thing after another. Go go go. 

Wednesday night was the second training session with the Organ Grinders. We ran up stairs all the way around an ice rink. 

Maybe go back and read that again. 

RAN up stairs.  

Booooooyaaah. 

It was during that workout that I really felt proud of myself. I can't believe what I'm doing! I never dreamed I'd be doing stuff like this! For some reason the crusty lungs and oxygen tubing got in the way. 

Although, really I shouldn't be surprised, right? Those 2lb weights I lifted in Toronto obviously prepared me for this. 

I've been faithful to my home workouts too. The boys have been doing them with me and realizing just how tough they are. 

I'm extremely proud of the fact that I can do FIVE girl push ups in a row. Ohhhhhh yaaaaaaa. Watch out push up people of the world!

Leave your computer for a minute and do a burpee. Or a push up to plank. 

Sounds French or something, eh? 

It's nutz and awesome. 

In other exciting news, we've had some news visitors. Literally. 

Because it's National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week, there's been lots of talk about it. In fact, the NS Minister of Health is opening up discussions about presumed consent. 

Unbelievable!!! Fantastical!!!!

Presumed consent would change everything. It would save so many lives. 

I've been interviewed by some news stations and have another interview tomorrow. The best part is one of the stations' camera man looked at me and told me that he was on the fence about organ donation until he met me. 

That is why I do what I do. 

I know that people are scared of death.  I know that they don't want to talk about it. Therefore, organ donation isn't talked about. 

BUT if someone somewhere didn't talk about it, I'd be dead. 

We need to talk about it. 

Think about this. Some day you, or someone you love, may need a tissue or organ transplant. 

What would you say about organ donation then? 

Would you want your life saved? Or your loved ones' life?

I just want to do my part. I want to honour my donor and their family. I want to raise awareness to help others on a transplant list. And others who are not yet on the list. 

Having your organs duck out sucks. Knowing there is still a chance for life doesn't. 






No comments:

Post a Comment