Sunday 13 April 2014

5k Lung Run

On Saturday, Brad and I laced up (after putting on our cool "running clothes" - man I need to invest in some) and headed into Halifax to "run" our guts out.

Look at my seriously awesome kicks!


The Organ Grinders entered a team in the Credit Union Atlantic Lung Run. The run is a perfect idea. It's to promote lung health.

The following is taken straight from their website:

"Known as the flattest, fastest couse in Atlantic Canada, the Credit Union Atlantic Lung Run offers a unique course described by runners as the best running route in Downtown Halifax. Our runners enjoy views of the stunning Halifax Waterfront and the bustle as they run throughout the heart of Downtown Halifax."

Hmmmmm. Did I enjoy these stunning views?

I could barely focus on keeping one foot in front of the other, especially at the end. Yes, the views are gorgeous, maybe next year I'll be able to appreciate them more.
 
An actual photo of Brad at the event
Brad was my cheerleader. He was by my side the whole way through. He kept me focused and non-whiny. He set goals and we met them (for the most part). 

We would walk for a bit and then run "from here to those lights...to that sign...to the train tracks...to the cop standing there."

My chunkers held up. Seriously, they didn't fall out. 

Even if they sometimes snapped, "Ooooxxxxyyyygggggeeeeeeennnnnnnnnn???" 

Divas!

The bigger issue was my legs. My calves were tightening at every step. They were screaming at me to back off. Begging me to slow down. Threatening to shut down.  

Burn. Aren't you supposed to feel the freaking burn???

I HATE the burn. 

BUT...

I loved it at the same time. With every step I took I knew I was accomplishing something. The walking steps were great, sure, but it was the jogging steps that had me feeling like a beeeast. 

Un-freaking stoppable! 

Except, of course, when I stopped. And walked. Breathing like a beeeast.


We were trucking along and Brad is telling me that the finish line is just around the corner, we're almost there, dig deep, blah, blah, blah.  

I'm pumped and can't frigging wait to be done. 

"Just around the corner, Jess. You can do it!"

As we're going around said corner, a woman is there encouraging people to keep going. Then she says, "good job guys! You're almost at the water break!"

I'm sure my face contorted into something highly unattractive and I said, "Break? What do you mean BREAK? You mean the end, right?"

When she said no and then something about needing to still go down by the boardwalk and yada yada yada, I wanted to slap someone. 

Good thing Brad is much faster than me. 

Brad says my face got extremely red and pissy looking. 

I say - good observation. 

We kicked it up a notch to get through the crowd (although I couldn't jog through the whole crowd) and then made our way around the boardwalk. 

The "cheerleader people" are great. But none of them would trade places with me??

Trevor - so inspiring...I'm determined to catch up!
The entire race, I had my sights on one person in particular: Trevor's (a fellow double-lung recipient) wife, Nancy. I wanted to stay ahead of her and cross that finish line before she did. I knew there was no way I could keep up with Trevor. Although I did at the beginning. 

Silly girl. Trevor has been active since his transplant. He's the person I've been motivated by since pre-transplant. I always wanted to be just as amazing as him. Over 6 years post - my guess is that he's got some pretty sweet chunkers himself.

I stayed ahead of Nancy for just over half of the race. And then...I have no idea. I ran out of steam? She downed some red bull and grew some wings??

Good job Nancy! But watch out next year!

When we left the boardwalk we could hear music. When you hear music you know the end is near. The music pumps you up. Gets you excited and stuff. We kicked it up again. I pushed myself hard core.

You should have seen me; I didn't look at all exhausted or disgusted. I was going, going, going...and the finish was right there!!! and then my chunkers and legs revolted.

Brad's long legs crossed the finish line before mine.

Of course, but not next year!

My time: 42 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WoW!! WoW!!! WoW!!!!

I was, and still am, extremely proud of myself. I was emotional after crossing the finish line and tears were threatening to spill from my eyeballs, but somehow I managed to hold them back. Plus there was so many people there and I didn't want to look like a big baby.

I did it. I actually jogged.

But just wait. This is just the beginning. JUST the BEGINNING!

Our training starts this week. I can't wait. I can't wait to see how much I can jog 1, 2, 3 months from now.

If any of you want to job with me, let me know. But you have to get some cool kicks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment