Thursday 6 December 2012

A couple of Gifts

Gift #1:

Lindsay sent me a package. She sent it to the hospital, as we all thought I'd be there for a minimum of 14 days.

For the first time in my life, I was let out after just 10 - that's 240 hours. 

The package was delivered to the nurses station and yesterday we went back to the hospital to get it. Upon opening the box, I found this:

NBA WRAPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy, Holy, Holy!!!!

At this point I was already doing my happy dance and giggling like a school girl.

The front:


The back:


My Linds is the best. She knows just how to cheer me up. Such a thoughtful and perfect gift. 

I have tickets for the Lakers game in Toronto on January 20th. And now I have something to wear while I'm losing my voice. I'm sure Kobe Bryant will see me and come shake my hand.

Actually, let's be honest, he'll most likely ask me to join the team.

------------------------------------------- 

Gift #2:

Today was one of the best experiences I've had in transplantland. After physio, and with a tall hazelnut blonde in hand, I got to see my freshly lung'ed-up squat buddy Mark.

It was like getting a breath of fresh air. I could hear him before I could see him. His door was open a crack. I was sitting in a wheelchair, flinging my arms all over the place, desperately trying to get closer to the door to get his attention.

It's ok Carman, don't cry.
His daughter, also named Jessica (and also awesome), came and opened it, told us to glove and gown up (as he's in isolation) and get our butts inside.

It was like a family reunion; it's been weeks since I've seen him and I've missed him like crazy. Physio is not the same without him; Carman and I've been lonely (Carman was a freaking mess when I was in the hospital...nobody to squat with...crying all over the place).

Mark looked so...full of life. So...happy.

It was like watching someone who was given a second chance at life. Oh wait, I guess that was exactly what he was given. 

Someone, somewhere, made a decision and selflessly signed up to be a donor.

That decision saved my friend's life. 

Donor, your lungs gave Mark both the energy and breath to thoroughly entertain me with stories of his call, his wait for the surgery and the craziness of medications afterward.

I loved learning about the many hallucinations, including his buddy "Arthur".

Mark, as you are the first of the Squat Squad to have your chest ripped open and new blowers shoved inside, I give you this:


Thank you Donor.

Thank you for saving my buddy.

Thank you for the gift of life.



3 comments:

  1. JEEEeeeezzzzz... You GOTTA not do that!!! I'm reading your damn blog at a Help Desk at work and before I got to the end, my eyes are all-welling-up-and-stuff and the peeps on the trading floor are starting to get worried about me. You should have a warning or something...

    I'm happy for Mark - I'm happy you're witnessing that... I'm amazed by all donors and donor families. I know that Mark & his family, and you and the peeps surrounding both of you are ecstatic for him. And we all know there is another family reeling - but that family stepped back and thought of others... They didn't know they were thinking of Mark, but Mark will think of them forever.

    I can't wait until it's your turn... Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Steve, that explains the wet weather that blew in from the west this week!
      Sniff

      Delete
  2. I'm studying your rattling weblog at a Help Table at perform and before I got to the end, my sight are all-welling-up-and-stuff and the peeps on the dealing floor

    .

    Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - Headstart DLC
    D3 Radiant Star Ruby

    ReplyDelete